lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] alts for images

From: russellbell
Subject: [Lynx-dev] alts for images
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 05:34:15 -0600

        Quoth Chuck Martin:

        'I accidentally sent a private reply to Russell'
        Must be in my spam folder; I didn't see it.

        'Apologies to Russell.'
        I wouldn't have minded.

        'Unfortunately, graphical browsers generally display alt text
when you mouse over an image, with the result that most web pages that
provide alt text misuse it to provide additional information on
mouseover instead of its intended purpose, meaning that lynx users end
up seeing text that is totally meaningless out of the context of the
image it replaces.  Often this meaningless text appears in the middle
of a sentence, causing the sentence to look like gibberish.  I'm sure
this is even more confusing to blind users than it is to me, since I
can usually see where the alt text starts and ends.'
        Firefox displays alt text when images are blocked.  It isn't
always obvious where it begins and ends when it's the same color.

        You guys didn't answer my question: is alt text a different
color for you?  I tried a number of different colors, none worked.
(Oddly, yellow made it blank).

russell bell