lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Can I Set a User Agent for an Individual Site?

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Can I Set a User Agent for an Individual Site?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 18:24:46 -0500

On 2020-10-20 15:33, Chime Hart wrote:
> So each time I go in options and uncheck the user agent box.
> Can I set these on a per site basis?

Not exactly.  However if you launch lynx on those given sites, you
could pass a different config file, something like

  alias lynxa='lynx -useragent="My Fabulous Agent/0.1"'
  alias lynxb='lynx -useragent="Mozilla Firefox/0.1 (Really, trust me)"'

and then launch them like

  $ lynxa http://trouble.example.com
  $ lynxb https://broken.example.net

It doesn't solve the problem of ending up on those sites from
elsewhere where you haven't pre-defined the user-agent, but it's as
close as I was able to get with my experimentation.

-tim