lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] copy URL to clipboard shortcut

From: Fadi Barbàra
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] copy URL to clipboard shortcut
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 08:33:25 +0200

Hi s18,
On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 04:20:42AM +0530, address@hidden wrote:

> choosing
> echo -n https://cmdt.ch/|xclip -i
>
> is doing nothing (at least nothing in clipboard).
> wget for example is working.
> ???

I also saw your other email so I know you already installed `xclip`.

I note that you used `xclip -i` and not `xclip -i -selection clipboard`. By
default `xclip` write into the primary selection. There is a difference between
primary selection and clipboard selection in GNU/Linux and BSD, so you should
be explicit in which selection you use. I think the proble you are experiencing
is because of that.

> and where are the the other entries coming from (w3m, ...)?
Some externals are already inserted in the `lynx.cfg` file (should be in
`/etc/lynx.cfg` in debian, but I am not sure about it). You can comment those
lines if you do not want them. I did it because I like to have things separate.

note that there are also other kind of programs, such as VIEWERS, which are
used to see files such as PDFs or PNGs.

> but this external things is greath!
> thanks a lot
You're welcome. Glad to have helped you!

BTW, be careful with EXTERNALS. Some security focused distributions, e.g.
OpenBSD, compile lynx without them. It seems that it is a potential
vulnerability. Unfortunately I do not know anything more about it (and I would
be very glad if somebody in the list would say something about it), but I
assume it is related to which program you use. E.g. `echo` is not a problem. Of
course, I can be wrong about it.

Best,
disnocen