lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx to work as anonymous browser

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx to work as anonymous browser
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 20:41:23 +0000 (UTC)

Steffen Nurpmeso dixit:

>I have no idea of tor except that i have tor-control-spec.txt and
>tor-socks-extensions.txt since 2017 locally.  And yes i have even

I haven’t, maybe I should, but I haven’t really used Tor anyway.

>read it once by then.  There is a RESOLVE (plus RESOLVE_PTR)
>extension (and maybe more) there, but since lynx is a browser not
>a DNS resolver i think this is not of interest for it.  The patch

Erm… there is‽ The browser needs to resolve hostnames, and if a
proxy is used there should be the option to let the proxy do that.

In the case of Tor this is needed for both functionality (their
extra TLD) and anonymity.

>uses the RFC standardized way of passing the hostname we want to
>connect to for real to the SOCKS5 proxy, it will perform the DNS
>lookup for us, and report it back.  So the only DNS lookup which
>lynx performs itself is the resolution of the socks proxy address.

Ah, good. And if that’s given as numeric v4/v6 address, even that
is elided, I assume.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
18:47⎜<mirabilos:#!/bin/mksh> well channels… you see, I see everything in the
same window anyway      18:48⎜<xpt:#!/bin/mksh> i know, you have some kind of