lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx to work as anonymous browser

From: misc
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx to work as anonymous browser
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:06:10 +0200

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 11:39:50AM -0400, Travis Siegel wrote:
> If someone wanted to write code to talk to the underlying mechanisms the tor
> browser uses, then tie them into lynx, then certainly, it could be made
> anonymous in the way you're asking, but as far as I know, no such code
> exists.
>

> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019, bo0od wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if lynx can be as good as TorBrowser to work with Tor.
> >
> > Is lynx anonymity focused as well or its just user friendly browser like
> > FF?

To use Tor I'm using lynx with torsocks. This way connection requests are
proxied to a locally running tor-proxy which in turn connects to the
tor-network. Obviously you need the tor service installed on your
system.

To use it that way in general, I made this alias in my bashrc:
        alias lynx='torsocks lynx'