lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 15:31:12 -0500

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 08:13:16PM +0000, David Woolley wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>

> >well, early on (before color), black text on a white background was

(1990-1996 for instance)

> >the usual.  But with colors, for quite a while white text on a black
> >background was the rule.  Recently I've seen some black-on-white
>
> Are you sure?  All the early monochrome displays I encountered were
> green or orange on black.  In some cases that was due to the actual
> technology (vector displays with real time refresh, or onto a
> storage tube), but the main reason was that the eye is more
> sensitive to flicker in large areas of light colour than in small
> areas of light colour, allowing the use of low refresh rates
> possibly also compounded with interlaced displays.

(1975-1990 for instance - there were color terminals, but not that common)

I've heard that (but also there was some comment then that the phosphor
would last longer with most of it dark).  In spite of that, there were
inevitably people who chose to use dark-on-light, saying that it was
more readable/natural (like a printed page).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net