lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 14:53:15 -0500

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 02:06:57PM -0500, Stephen Isard wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Thomas Dickey dickey-at-his.com |lynx-dev| wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 08:58:21PM -0500, Stephen Isard wrote:
> <snip>
> >>/etc/lynx.lss, there is a line
> >>alink:              reverse:                yellow:         black
> >>but links are displayed as yellow on a white, rather than black,
> >>background, which I find hard to see.  If I replace the word "black"
> >>by any other permissable  color name, the links come up with that
> >>color as background.  It is only "black" (and of course "white")
> >>that gives a white background.
> >
> >That sounds as if your terminal background is white, and tweaking one or
> >both of these settings in lynx.cfg would help:
> >
> >     ASSUMED_COLOR
> >     DEFAULT_COLORS
>
> Yep, the terminal background is white, and changing DEFAULT_COLORS
> from true to false gives the link text a black background.  Thank
> you.
>
> I take it from your response that this is the way you expect lynx to
> work with the given settings, i.e., it's not a bug.  I'd be
> surprised though if the yellow on white I was getting is what the

well, early on (before color), black text on a white background was
the usual.  But with colors, for quite a while white text on a black
background was the rule.  Recently I've seen some black-on-white
configurations, but (given the people involved) am unsure whether it
was thought out, or just happened.

> packagers of my rpm intended.  It only started happening when I
> switched to Scientific Linux 6, which has lynx-2.8.6-27.  Under
> Scientific Linux 5 with lynx-2.8.5-28.1.el5_2.1.x86_64.rpm, links
> had a contrasting background. To help me make a useful report to the
> packagers, can you tell me whether the behavior of lynx itself has
> changed in this regard between 2.8.5 and 2.8.6?  The earlier package

According to the changelog, I added ASSUMED_COLOR in 2.8.3dev.23,
and DEFAULT_COLORS in 2.8.6pre.4 (though the code used the feature
since 2.8.3dev.18).

But I made the color-style configuration the default in 2.8.6 - consensus
was that it was an improvement.  Occasionally (this past month is odd with
_two_ comments about it) someone asks about it.

The oldlynx script in lynx's samples directory makes it look almost the
same as the non-color-style.  (The "almost" is because links don't
paint just the same way...).  According to the changelog, I added the
DEFAULT_COLORS setting to help with the oldlynx script, which looks like
this:

#!/bin/sh
# invoke lynx built with color-style, overriding the color options to use the
# non-color-style scheme -TD

my_cfg=${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/lynxcfg$$
trap "rm -f $my_cfg" 0 1 2 5 15

rm -f "$my_cfg"
echo "DEFAULT_COLORS:off" >>$my_cfg
if test -n "$LYNX_CFG" ; then
        echo "include:$LYNX_CFG" >>$my_cfg
fi
echo "COLOR_STYLE:" >>$my_cfg
echo "NESTED_TABLES:off" >>$my_cfg

LYNX_CFG=$my_cfg
export LYNX_CFG
unset LYNX_LSS

${LYNX_PROG-lynx} "$@"

> didn't have an /etc/lynx.lss file at all, whereas the current lynx
> binary refuses to run without a .lss file.  Is that your change or
> theirs?  The old package did have /etc/lynx.cfg, but no entry in it
> for DEFAULT_COLORS.  Is it new, or did they just start using it?

Since I released 2.8.6 in October 2006, I don't think it's "new".
(I have at least one more iteration before 2.8.8's done - just too
many different programs to work on).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net