lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:54:50 -0500

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:18:40PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> back when i first blundered into lynx.dev 9609, '2.6' had just come out.
> it had been released too quickly by a frantic Foteos Macrides
> & contained many bugs, which required a new version '2.7' c 9702.
> subseq'ly, there were versions '2.7.1' & '2.7.2' fairly quickly, then '2.8'.
> there were a few 'pre' or 'rc' versions shortly before these releases,
> but nothing like the series of  17  (so far) '2.8.5devs'.

Some numbers (there were no "pre" patches until just before 2.8):

before 2.8      16 patches       2  months      0.9Mb
before 2.8.1    42 patches       7  months      1.0Mb
before 2.8.2    39 patches       7  months      1.7Mb
before 2.8.3    31 patches       9  months      2.0Mb
before 2.8.4    29 patches      15  months      2.2Mb
before 2.8.5    16 patches      30+ months      2.8Mb

> somehow the numbering system got distorted & has remained so for years.
> can we please get it back to sanity?  that's all: i leave it to TD.

As I've explained a couple of times, I would have preferred to release 2.8.5
late in 2002, but found that I would not get a consensus.  Preparing a release
takes much more time than preparing a development patch, since (unlike the
typical desktop-scrapings SourceForge project), I do check that lynx runs on
all of the platforms available to me, has no known serious problems that were
introduced since the last release, etc.

Lynx development versions are (as more than one person notes) equivalent to the
release versions of many other projects.  Packagers who are paying attention
already know this.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net