lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Revised patch for HTFTP.c

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Revised patch for HTFTP.c
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:33:50 +0900 (JST)

> It seems that one of the basic questions here is "Who is responsible
> for determining the mode of transfer under ftp, the server or the
> client?". My understanding is that it has always been the client.

John Junod's (Ipswitch, Inc.) WS_FTP is a handy ftp client for Windows.
FWIW, WS_FTP can be set by the user to transfer either by ascii or binary
to "view" a file.  (My memory of the standard ftp shipped with SunOS is
that it acts the same.)  Why I bring up WS_FTP is that whether the file is
transfered by ascii or binary, in both cases an extra line is not inserted
when using the "view" command.  In both cases, it appears in memopad (not
sure of the English name) as exactly three lines with no intervening blank
lines.  WS_FTP is making a decision as a client not to add a blank line.
Perhaps ascii data and binary data are interpreted independently.

__Henry