lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev <OT> slang

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev <OT> slang
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:59:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, A. R. Vener wrote:

> Now that I have slang installed and lynx working nicely, could
> someone talk to me about what slang is?  The documentation was sketchy
> to say the least. The examples directory that came with it contain
> some math and sorting examples that make me think slang is really
> some sort of script language rather than a curses library replacement.

that's mainly what it is - but it includes some supporting code for
scripting.  It uses either termcap or terminfo, but has some subtle
changes in the use of the termcap/terminfo entries which tend to split
users into two camps (as well as some hardcoded assumptions that
everyone's running a vt100, which make it simple to use on _that_ type of
terminal, but "interesting" on others).

(I don't recall any uses of the library except for the screen management
functions that were written by anyone except John Davis, so it's become
synonymous with screen management).

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com