lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Lynx .IDE file for Borland C ++

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx .IDE file for Borland C ++
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 06:43:16 -0500

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 10:35:15AM +0200, Mike Bledig wrote:
> Hi there to all.
>
> The thing is, I'm compiling the lynx as per the instructions found in
> the Installation document.  There seems to be some differences
> between the document and to what one must do to get the thing to
> compile.
>
> I have copied some of what the document says.  Note: some text
> has been omitted so as to shorten the document.  I have
> highlighted where I find the discrepancies.
>
> IV. Compile instructions -- Win32
>
> (Windows95/98/NT)
>
> Before compiling the Lynx sources, you need a curses library, and
> it is recommended that you have the zlib library.  Get
> pdcurses2.3...  You will want to get zlib...  Compile these libraries,
> and put them in a convenient place (pdcurses inside the Lynx
> directory).
>
> *Wrong!* Had to make the directory above the lynx directory.
>
> Unpack the latest Lynx source distribution, and make an obj
> directory under the source root to contain the compile output.
> *Wrong!* Had to make the directory above the Lynx directory.
>
> Copy in your IDE file.
>
> First build the .h files in src\chrtrans using "makew32.bat".  Double
> check for new .tbl files; hand edit in any new ones, and then do
> "makew32". Jump into Borland C++, load the project (IDE file) and
> compile Lynx. Alternately, after compiling the chartrans tables, you
> can come back to the top directory and compile manually, i.e., do
> "make -f makefile.bcb".
>

> The thing is, I think that there's something wrong with my .libs.
> Because when I compiled the source for the pdcurses.lib, I got a
> lot of warnings.  Could that be the problem?
>
> Now I've just got to figure it out.  The source is compiling ok, but
> there's a problem with linking.

Mike, et al:

  Thanks for perservering with your compile attempts.  Hopefully
someone will submit documentation patches based on your comments above
(i'm short of spare time).  As far as the compile warnings and missing
symbols, I hit the same roadblocks several months ago.  I did manage to
get an executable built, which is distributed at jim.spath.com.  There
are messages in the lynx-dev archive about my attempts that may help
you (in hindsight).  Search for these subjects:

June 1999:
Compile problems w/Borland CBuilder4 (C++5.4)

September 1999:
Borland-compiled binary
Borland #if (was: lynx2.8.3dev.6)
patches to squelch Borland compiler warnings

December 1999:
283dev9 Borland build problems
Lynx for Win32 (borland)
dev10 on borland

  I also just use the makefile.bcb as distributed, so get CJK
  extensions without needing them.  Removing that flag doesn't work
correctly, as I've also reported here. There are overlapping
dependencies with WIN_EXthat I could not easily remove.

  As I mentioned earlier, not many people are using Borland and/or
compiling Lynx for Win32.  Your help in making this easier and better
for others is appreciated.

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Pausing to reconstruct the whole infrastructure of integral
mathematics in his head, he went about his humble task, never
thinking to ask for reward, recognition or even a moments ease
from the pain in all the diodes down his left side...