lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:00:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > > and my termcap description "SC" contains the following:
> > >           :kI=\E[1~:kh=\E[2~:kP=\E[3~:\
> > >           :kD=\E[4~:@7=\E[5~:kN=\E[6~:\
>
> Are you telling me that I should remove the kI, kh, kP, kD, @7 and
> kN notation from termcap SC and the equivalent from terminfo screen?

Yes.  Restore those to what was there before (if anything).

you don't need SC in a termcap file at all, as long as you keep the
TERMCAP variable in the environment (but that's broken too, see other
mail).

> > But I think I do understand why, in the non-screen case, one key is
> > wrong.  Try this "patch":
>
> Did, and it fixes the key-action problem which shows up in the non-
> screen case.  (Problem is, I can't live without screen!)
>
> Good work!
>
> > I don't understand, but you shouldn't set "screen" terminfo and "SC"
> > termcap as you do.  Or teach screen to not remap those keys, its man
> > page seems to have enough info for doing that.
>
> You'd have to be a genius to understand it.  What does that mean "teach
> screen to not remap those keys"?

The problem seems to be in what screen does, and your (mis?)understandings
of it.  I think you won't really solve it until you do understand it
more.  I don't understand the details either, luckily I can live
without screen so far.

It has always appeared as a black box to me that does some strange
things.  If you depend on it *and* have unusual requirements *and*
don't understand how to configure it - you have a real problem.  If the
screen documentation is unusable/unreadable for normal people as you
claim, you *should* try to resolve that with the authors of screen (or
of the man pages etc.).  (The least you could do for a program you
"can't live without", isn't it? :))

Anyway we don't have a lynx problem here (any more).  At least I think so.

> Also _I_ don't set "screen" terminfo
> and "SC" termcap; screen does.

screen sets the TERM variable to "screen" and the TERMCAP variable to
(something containing) "SC".  You changed the contents of those
capabilities, that's what I meant with "set as you do".
(And I have no idea *why* you thought that would be a meaningful
thing to do.)

    Klaus