lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Autoconf patch for S/390 (EBCDIC)

From: Martin Kraemer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Autoconf patch for S/390 (EBCDIC)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 15:44:18 +0100

Thanks for sending me a Cc and making me aware of the fact that there
is an active EBCDIC development "out there".

I'm the guy who ported Apache to BS2000, the (EBCDIC-based) mainframe
OS of SIEMENS. I "inventd" the "CHARSET_EBCDIC" define, because at
that time there was not much free EBCDIC ported software I had access
to, and a plain EBCDIC define was IMO inappropriate. IBM has in the
meantime ported Apache to their AS/400 and OS/390 platforms, and
AFAIK they re-used my "CHARSET_EBCDIC" define.

Of course, I agree that a standardization (across products) is
desirable. If there is a sensible agreement on any of the proposed
defines, I could change Apache to use that name in the future.

In my autoconf patch, I did not add any product specific EBCDIC
defines because of just that reason: the missing standardization.

BTW: I tried to port lynx-2.8 to BS2000 some months ago. I got stuck
in HTML.c (the rendering machine is ASCII specific). When outputting
the raw HTML source, it worked already.

Does the current version of Lynx-2.8 support EBCDIC (including
rendering)? Or is a patch required? I'd *love* to to add another "strange"
platform to the list of supported platforms ;-)

I'm not subscribed to the lynx-dev list, so please include a Cc to my
address when replying. Thanks.

    Martin

--
<address@hidden>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products