lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.1 is great

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.1 is great
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:13:03 +0900 (JST)

> not exactly - Lynx's implemented to supply video attributes
> bold/underline/reverse (8 combinations), which are mapped in parallel
> to 8 colors.  It would make more sense to revisit this and separate
> the video attributes from colors.

This is an area that has always intrigued me (and totally confused me)
about Lynx.  The video attributes seem to be "mapped" to "functions" of
Lynx, like "the presently chosen link" or "found strings in a search",
<strong>), and one to plain text.  AFAIK, there still is one combination
not used (bold+reverse).  I've been thinking, rather vaguely, that a
possible use of this one last "color" could be with the new forms-based
option menu or bookmarks, but really have no concrete idea as to what
aspect would be usefully emphasized or set apart from others (except
maybe having _all_ plain text in _menus_ COLOR#3 instead of COLOR#1).
I've often myself wanted the <title> element a different color, and
about a year ago did some fooling around with that, but decided in the
long run it would mean a LOT of bloating for a pretty stupid desire.
Anyway, Rob's already done it (not the bloating -- the quasi-style
sheets).

Tom, please expand on "revisit this and separate the video attributes
from colors".  What ideas do you have?  I am very interested.

> why should "brightblue" be the same as bold + blue? it's true only if
> you make some nonportable (and constrictive) assumptions about the
> choice of terminal emulator.                 ^^^^^^^^^^^

May be way out in left field, but doesn't slang, at least, "translate",
for the user who forces color with the -color option, any "bright"
colors to escape sequences for the straight color and the bold
attribute, i.e., the *assumption* is that the physical display can't
handle bright so slang gives a compromise to try to achieve the
"effect"?

__Henry