lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:54:49 +0100 (BST)

> i cannot believe that there is such a security weakness in UNIX
> & that no-one has created a revised version of UNIX to avoid it:
> you simply prohibit users making symlinks to files they don't own.

The revised version of Unix was the one that did support symlinks;
original ones didn't.  They were introduced because they were useful;
even Microsoft now has them, although I'm not sure of the security
handling on them (they are less integrated into the operating system,
so are likely to have less protection).