lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 22:49:11 -0400 (EDT)

> >  ls -ld /homefs/u7/purslow  gives:
> >
> > drwx--x--x    9 purslow  user         512 Oct  9 07:53 /homefs/u7/purslow
>         ^  ^
>
> As an amateur, I find this curious.  I have always made permissions
> on private accounts 700.  With a setup like this, couldn't a person
> logged on to that system exec any of the programs under that directory,
> e.g., run the private image of lynx within that directory?

yes - IF they know where it is.

If there's a 755 directory under that, they can cd to it and do useful
work, also IF they know where it is.  So it's a good idea to keep the
mail directory 700.  (On my ISP account, I protect all but a couple of
work directories whose names probably aren't well-known).

It's worth noting that Linux's permissions don't seem to work that way
(they're more permissive).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden