lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 01:44:31 -0400 (EDT)

980428 Jason wrote:
> When I attempt to read
>  http://lummi.stanford.edu/class/ps142k/WWW/casebook/casebook.htm ,
> Lynx versions 2.7.1 and 2.8 both display the document as HTML source
> instead of formatting it. I could not find any error near the beginning
> of the file, judging from the HTML source as displayed by Lynx,
> except for the absence of an SGML Document Type Declaration.
> However, many authors fail to include such declarations in their web pages,
> and Lynx reads them without difficulty.
> Thus, the problem must lie elsewhere.
> Is this phenomenon the result of a bug in Lynx?

the problem is in line 1:
if you download the file, then edit it to remove that line,
then access it as an HTML document in your own directory
(ie in  public_html  with the correct permission), it displays correctly;
at least that's a quick fix if you just need to read it.

i'm not familiar enough with HTML rules to explain
what's wrong with line 1, but probably another list member will know.
i used 2-8 ; 2-7-1 is now obsolete.