lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works now

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works now
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:39:30 +0900 (JST)

> When revising the INSTALLATION file, please don't make a special
> reference to PKUNZIP.  Although this will probably work with the "-d"
> option, its default action puts all files in one directory, discarding

I think pkunzip, however unfortunate that may be, is on too many machines to
not mention it.  For that reason the need to use "-d" switch is pointed out
(Thanks to Bill).  I can reword things to discourage using pkunzip, however.

One other thing I haven't changed in INSTALLATION.gz is the suggested
change to the description of "--disable-dired-override" in the option
subsection of the autoconf compile section.  Would a couple of people
look this over?  I think it is clear and correct as Tom originally wrote
it, but it is confusing because in old makefile terms, the option
essentially prepends a "#".

Since INSTALLATION is now in place, although already out of date, please
everyone keep suggestions for improvements and corrections on the list.
Patches to the file in the distribution are appropriate, even though I will
continue to hand edit the *.gz file I keep on my server here (as promised
until the new release comes out).  As I've explained ad nauseam this needs
to be a team effort for it to be effective.

__Henry
;
;