lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV More on my SPARC/Solaris 2.4/Lynx development version crash

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV More on my SPARC/Solaris 2.4/Lynx development version crashes
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:25:59 -0400

From: Robert Bonomi <address@hidden>
> This is symptomatic of a 'trashed' malloc memory pool.  Look at the
> manpage for 'malloc_debug',  link with the debugging version of
> malloc,  and turn on "full" checking at each call.  This is, in all
> probability, one of those cases where the cause of the 'problem' is
> a _long_ ways removed from where it manifests itself.

Sigh - Sun doesn't have a man page for malloc_debug - as far as I can
tell, there isn't a way to link this way.

> It also appears to me that the *stack* is corrupted.
> note that the traceback shows malloc called with SIX arguments!!
> even tho the source-code clearly shows only one.  :)

I'm in hopes that 0.83, when it appears, will resolve this.

> Anybody got access to "Purify", or Centerline's "Codecenter", or
> similiar ??   <grin>

My employer decided to drop Codecenter, I've never gotten purify to work
for me.  However, Sun's latest versions of dbx do have some memory
checking features.  I know how to turn on the easy stuff  - if
anyone out there knows what the arguments to the -frames and -match
args are, I can turn those on as well...
;