lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Blather +[INSTALLATION update]

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Blather +[INSTALLATION update]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:47:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > The ide is a LARGE (150k) binary file.  It is like a makefile, except it
> > Development Environment).  I do offer an older version on my site already.
>
> I looked for it off of "http://198.112.65.200/doslynx/lynxport.htm";, but
> didn't find it.  Could you post the URL specific to the IDE?

My (out of date) devel stuff is at http://fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/source/
Since I used generic libraries this time I was hoping just to put out the
ide and point people to the INSTALLATION directions.  That link is on the
lynxport page down by "You will need the helper files from here if you
decide to give compiling a try."

> I'd keep those MAKEFILE.W32s.  They do give a starting point for doing a
> "text-mode" compile.

I have compiled that way before--I just don't like it as much.  I get
enough of that on the unix platforms.  I'll try to geep generating new
ones though for people who like them.

> One point I'm still not clear on is your (Wayne's) reference to "makew32".

That is in src/chrtrans.  It makes the makeuctb.exe and then uses it on
the .tbl files.  It was a crude substitute for the unix makefile.

> BTW, I finally got around to installing the binary Wayne offers.  Wow, I
> never realized just how slick the Win32 port is!  Just fantastic!
> Now I HAVE to try to compile it so I can change the LYMessages_en.h
> strings.  (The only c compiler here on Win95 is "Visual C++"; will that
> work?)

I haven't used VC++ in a while.  I don't remember if it can read ide
files.  One problem you will run into is you have to get a curses or slang
library compiled as well as lynx (and zlib if you want that too). I
haven't ever tried that in VC++.  Lynx itself should be fairly well
behaved in a modern compiler (thanks to the pre-windos developers), but it
still may be non-trivial.

I used VC++ to compile the www linemode browser a while back.  That was a
good learning expearence, but it was also very slow compared to lynx and
BC4.52.

;
;