lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:16:19 +0100 (BST)

Nelson wrote:

> of configuring for their system before compiling Lynx?  What are
> the situations where PASV FTP code is necessary?

PASV FTP is needed where the firewall allow outgoing connections to arbitrary
port numbers, but has no specific support for normal FTP, which requires
incoming connections to dynamically assigned port numbers.  It only works
with some servers (generally all Unix ones).

The alternative firewall strategies require a firewall that understands the
FTP protocol and dynamically opens incoming access to the current FTP
port number (some also translate port numbers and addresses).  You might
get away with accepting port 20 to anything above 1024, but that would
probably not be considered the safest strategy.

The Linux masquerade support allows non PASV connections, and so, I believe
does SOCKS.
;
;