lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Makefile for sco5 and sendmail...

From: John DuBois
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Makefile for sco5 and sendmail...
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:00:39 -0700

The most reliable simple test for whether an OpenServer system is running
MMDF or sendmail is to search for an uncommented smtpd line in /etc/inetd.conf.
If so, it's running MMDF; if not, it's running sendmail (which listens to the
smtp port with its own daemon, rather than letting inetd do it).  Complete
MMDF and sendmail configs can exist on a machine with this being the only
simple indication of which is being used.  Of course, it's possible for MMDF to
be in use without having smtpd configured on a system that doesn't use its smtp
channel, but by default smtpd will be in inetd.conf on all systems running MMDF
even if they don't use the smtp channel.

        John