lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Query about editing the bookmark file

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Query about editing the bookmark file
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:34:53 -0700

> lynx 2.7.1 + fotemods 7/27/97 , ncurses, SPARC / Solaris 2.4
>
> I do the following:
>
> $ lynx
> (and my home page appears)
> 'v'
> (and my bookmark page appears)
> 'e'
> I get:
>
> -c option, 1: Illegal address: only 914 lines in the file
> Press Enter to continue:
>
> I press Enter and I am positioned at line 914 of the file.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?  My default editor is the BSD new vi called
> nvi.  My bookmark page is writable by me.  I only add entries to the
> file via Lynx.

        That is odd.  Normally when you hit the 'e' (edit) option
        while viewing a local file (such as your bookmarks file)
        lynx starts the editor with a "+X" switch which most
        Unix editors interpret as a starting offset (line number) into
        the file.

        If you'd edited your file and removed some linefeeds I'd
        understand this response -- the starting line requested could
        then be greater than the number of lines in the file (because
        the offset may be based on "rendered" lines vs. "physical"
        lines).

        I frequently edit my bookmarks and other local html files
        by invoking vi under Lynx.  This usually puts my cursor
        some number of lines *before* my target (due to the way I
        use whitspace and linefeeds in my HTML sources).

        Maybe it's something odd about the way your copy of
        vi is interpreting the numeric argument.

--
Jim Dennis,                                address@hidden
Proprietor,                          address@hidden

        PGP  1024/2ABF03B1 Jim Dennis <address@hidden>
        Key fingerprint =  2524E3FEF0922A84  A27BDEDB38EBB95A
;