lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Able to see graphics if...

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Able to see graphics if...
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 04:22:07 -0400 (EDT)

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 2:27:57 -0400 (EDT)
>
> If I get a 386, and I use this dial-up UNIX service, is there any way
> I can see graphics if possible?  Or make a website?  What can I do on
> UNIX?  Thanks.

This is more of a unix question than a lynx question.
Lynx is a text-only browser used on unix and VMS systems.

If you use lynx as your browser, you can't view graphics directly,
but you can download graphics files and view them separately.
Lynx has a * command that toggles whether images have links.  When you turn
on image links, you are able to download the image source file.  Just select
that link and use the d command to download.
You can also use a graphics browser on your 386, depending on what services you
get from your ISP.

There is no problem making a website on a UNIX account, regardless of what
browser you use.
Usually all you need to do is create your html files and put them in a
public_html directory in your home directory on your unix account.
You pretty much have complete freedom in what you put in your webpage
(although  some ISPs restrict the use of CGI scripts).

Hope that answers your question.

BTW -- It appears you are sendingthis mail using an old version of lynx.
The latest release was 2.7.1.
--le

;
;