lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV PRINT from SOURCE gives unchanged copy?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV PRINT from SOURCE gives unchanged copy?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:00:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       There is code in GridText.c which disables wrapping in source
> mode.  It's easy for any programmer to locate that and disable it, but
> if you do, should you save the HTML source via the 'p'rint menu, the
> HText structure will retain such "artificial" wraps, and newlines will
> be present on the ends of such lines -- causing spaces to be inserted
> at those points -- when rendering the saved (but thereby "corrupted")
> source file with a browser.
>
>       The lynx.cfg now stresses the importance of including a PRINTER
> option for a file viewer like most, and includes an example PRINTER line
> for that.  HTML "source" files are text/plain (no links in them, just
> markup for links 8-), so with most you can do the horiziontal scrolling
> for viewing long lines, without having "corrupted" the source file
> (except for expansions of tabs 8-).

...and possible except for translation of characters if a display
character set other than ISO Latin 1 was in effect (without "raw"
mode.  This is not chartrans-code specific.)

...and maybe conversion/interpretation of soft hyphen and/or
non-break-space raw characters to normal hyphen and space (I haven't
checked that.)

...and if lines are longer than MAX_LINE (1024, see LYGlobaldefs.h)
they will be broken anyway.

...and of course the insertion of a comment and a BASE tag at the top.

Just pointing out other cases where the assumption that PRINT from
SOURCE gives an unmolested copy of the original HTML does not hold.
Use D)ownload for that.

   Klaus

;
;