lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Problem compiling on SGI

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV Problem compiling on SGI
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 06:32:16 -0500 (EST)

I'm not a sysadmin, just an ordinary user who wants to compile & use 2-6.
The system is UNIX in the form of SGI IRIX 5.3 .
I have an outline knowledge of UNIX & C, but have never tried to compile
  a pgm of the size & complexity of Lynx before.
I'm a reader of Lynx-dev, as others may remember.

I have read  Installation ,  userdefs.h ,  lynx.cfg  &  Makefile ,
  at least twice each & have edited the last 3 as seemed appropriate.
Following what it says in  Installation , I entered  make sgi ,
  with the following result:

Lots of lines of the form  cc -c -o ... /HTUU.o ... [the last one]
Then  ar r ... libwww.a ...
Then  Warning: creating ../../Library/sgi/libwww.a
      ranlib ../../Library/sgi/libwww.a
      cd src; make all CC="cc" MCFLAGS="-o -cckr -DFANCY_CURSES \
              -DNO_CUSERID -DUNIX -DSGI -Dvfork=fork \
              -I ../ [stuff] -DOK \
              LIBS="-lcurses -ltermcap -DSYSV -DPERFORMANCE" \
              WWWLIB="../WWW/Library/sgi/libwww.a"
Then  Compiling Lynx sources
      cc -O -cckr -DFANCY_CURSES
      -DNO_CUSERID -DUNIX -DSGI -Dvfork=fork
      -I ../WWW/Library/Implementation -DNO_UTMP -DDIRED_SUPPORT -DOKc
Then  cc: Error: no source, object or ucode file specified
      Error code 2 (bu21)
      Error code 1 (bu21)
Then the system prompt.
[This is copied by hand from the screen, as I'm not sure without experiment
  how to redirect it to a file: I don't know whether it's Stdout/Stderror,
  &  csh  is awkward re redirecting both at once]

It looks as if the C compiler is looking for a file which isn't there,
  but I have no idea what the file should be or where it might be.

Can anyone help, please?
(Lynx 2-4-2 , as installed by our very remote & overworked sysadmin,
  works normally & reliably on the system)

;