lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV bad reaction to Latin1 code

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV bad reaction to Latin1 code
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 03:32:51 -0500 (EST)

Using 2-4-2 to read  www.awgnet.com/aviation/avi_news.htm
part-way in (the spot can be found by searching for  0.65 ),
text suddenly turns into barbed-wire garbage (with an occasional letter).
Backslash reveals the change is provoked by the source
 (963Ž4) , which is rendered  (9634) , but followed by garbage.
According to the list of ISO Latin-1 codes at  www.sandia.gov
 Ž  is not defined & shouldn't be used in HTML.

No doubt Aviation Week should be told about it, but Lynx should surely
be able to ignore the code & carry on normally.  I'm working on 2-6,
but haven't got it installed yet (I'm being careful), so possibly
it's a known version bug.

Could anyone explain what goes wrong?  If a bug, is it known already?
;