lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Option Needed!

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Option Needed!
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 02:10:09 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Ted Meyers - EECS wrote:

> LYNX needs an line in the .lynxrc file telling where to put downloaded
> files.  Right now it tries to clutter up my home directory.  If I edit
> the directory when I edit the filename I sometimes mess up the filename and
> it is just plain tedious.

It might be something to eventually add in the .lynxrc, but I think you
misunderstand how lynx currently handles things.  The default is the
directory where you start lynx.  If you always start it in your home
directory, then that's why it's saving there.  Now, read this snippet from
lynx.cfg:

# If SAVE_SPACE is defined, it will be used as a path prefix for the
# suggested filename in "Save to Disk" operations from the 'p'rint or
# 'd'ownload menus.  On VMS, you can use either VMS (e.g., "SYS$LOGIN:")
# or Unix syntax (including '~' for the HOME directory).  On Unix, you
# must use Unix syntax.  If the symbol is not defined, or is zero-length
# (""), no prefix will be used, and only a filename for saving in the
# current default directory will be suggested.
# This definition will be overridden if a "LYNX_SAVE_SPACE" environment
# variable has been set on Unix, or logical has been defined on VMS.
#
#SAVE_SPACE:~/foo/

As you can see, it's commented out by default which means to use the
startup directory.  It's POSSIBLE that your sysadmin has defined this to
be your home directory, but you can still define LYNX_SAVE_SPACE to
override that.

I suppose that there should be a section in the help explaining the use of
environment variables/logicals to affect the operation of Lynx.  I saw the
WWW_HOME variable mentioned, but could not find the LYNX_SAVE_SPACE or
LYNX_CFG anywhere.  A reference to WWW_HOME should probably also appear in
the explnation of the '-startfile' command line switch...