lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Can't build "Working example" from BUILDING

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Can't build "Working example" from BUILDING
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 21:45:59 +0200

Am 30.09.2021 um 21:04 schrieb Grant Edwards:
> On 2021-09-30, goldsimon@gmx.de <goldsimon@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> It's not out of date: it is more recent than what you are trying to build.
>>
>> 2.1.3. is a bugfix release for an older version, where 'contrib' has
>> been in a separate git tree. Since that's kind of annyoing, we moved
>> the contrib part to a folder in a main tree by now.
>>
>> The savannah link you are referring to contains the docs for the
>> latests git master branch sources. That's simply not applicable to
>> the 2.1.3 sources you are trying to build.
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> And there is no equivalent document for 2.1.3?

Apparently not. The documentation and most of the cmake build system has
been added for the master branch only. We're currently not porting it
back to the 2.1.x tree.

Traditionally, there has been *no* possibility to build lwIP as is:
that's simply not our focus. We're not a linux/unix library, we provide
source code to compile on small embedded systems. And since these most
often use proprietary or other weird build systems, noone bothered to
add make or cmake files.

I'm not really using the linux/cmake things myself very often: instead,
I'm mostly developing/debugging things in an old (community) version of
MS Visual Studio. But in the end, that's not really relevant: our
repository provides portable code as source, not as an end product
that's meant to be compilable into a binary out of the box with no
additional work. From reading your mails, it seems like you though
differently, and that might have lead to frustration. Bothe the makefile
lists and cmake files really only started as a tiny helper for ourselves
(e.g. travis).

Regards,
Simon