lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] PPP Failing Network Phase with Telit LE910-V2 on AT&T

From: Christopher Stocker
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] PPP Failing Network Phase with Telit LE910-V2 on AT&T
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:52:12 -0400

Sylvain,

I figured out the issue with the logging and made some changes to my printf implementation and turned off the time stamping. The auth protocols now show as:

ppp: auth protocols: PAP=0 CHAP=0 CHAP_MD5=0 CHAP_MS=0 CHAP_MS2=0

See log "Telit LE910-V2 ATT Linux PPP 0923.txt".

lwipopts.h as the defines set as follows.

#define PAP_SUPPORT                    1
#define CHAP_SUPPORT                 1
#define MSCHAP_SUPPORT           1

I also ran it with the auth support turned off and got similar results.

The issue seems to center around the lwIP Stack sending the IPCP ConfReq after it enters phase 9 and the modem responding with a LPC ConfReq. This causes the lwIP stack to enter the function "static void fsm_rconfreq" with a state of PPP_FSM_OPENED which sets the link to down and returns the stack to phase 6. From there it will loop between though phases until stopped.

I hacked in the following code from looking at the data in the LPC ConfReq that caused the issue and changed the following case statement in  "static void fsm_rconfreq".

    case PPP_FSM_OPENED:
/* Go down and restart negotiation */
  /* CS Hack */
  if(inp[0] == 0x02 && inp[1] == 0x06)
  {
    fsm_sdata(f, CONFACK, id, inp, len);
    return;
  }
  /* END CS Hack */
if( f->callbacks->down )
   (*f->callbacks->down)(f); /* Inform upper layers */
fsm_sconfreq(f, 0); /* Send initial Configure-Request */
f->state = PPP_FSM_REQSENT;
break;

I was able to get an IP Address and it seemed like it would work but after the IPCP negotiation is done and "ppp_status_cb" prints out the IP Addresses the stack gets an IPCP ConfReq from the modem then goes back to phase 9 and all connection attempts fail. See log "Telit LE910-V2 ATT Linux PPP No Auth0923.txt".

Thank you for looking into this.
Chris

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 9:15 AM Sylvain Rochet <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Christopher,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 04:04:02PM -0400, Christopher Stocker wrote:

> The modem does not require authentication but I enable the compile options
> in lwIP for PAP, CHAP, and MSCHAP but the stack just moves past phase 7
> without doing anything so I assume that’s correct. I also enable CCP but
> that did resolve the issue.

Could you try enabling at least PAP ?

The "ppp: auth protocols" output is garbaged but it looks like
authentication is not enabled at all, despite what you said.

I'm not sure I had the chance to test the no authentication build, it
might need some glue to skip authentication and go forward to the next
step.

Sylvain