lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Handle a broadcast storm

From: Patrick Klos
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Handle a broadcast storm
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 09:54:54 -0400

On 3/21/2019 5:27 AM, CORRADIN Michele wrote:

Hello,

I’m experiencing a problem of watchdog in a STM32F407 board running LWIP and uCOS-III. Doing some debug I discovered that sometimes I receive up to 400 messages in less than 20ms locking my Ethernet interrupt longer than the watchdog refresh time. I have 3 receive buffers for the Ethernet MAC so it seems that really I’m receiving just a message after the other. Doing a wireshark check I noticed that effectively sometimes even my pc receives some broadcast message, normally up to 4-5 just one after the other and probably sometimes there are much more coming.

Is there any suggested way to deal with this type of condition? I’m not a big expert of network management: I did a search on web I was not able to find anything.

Thanks for the support

Michele

Hello Michele,

What kind of broadcast packets is your device receiving?  Are these broadcast packets actually IP and/or ARP packets?  If they aren't, maybe you can optimize the path in your device's ethernet driver to discard these uninteresting packets more efficiently?

Patrick Klos
Klos Technologies, Inc.