lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1 or 2.0.0

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1 or 2.0.0
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 20:17:42 +0200

Sylvain Rochet wrote:
Humm, the raw API didn't change much, so it should be fine.

I guess so, too. In any way, if you have the sources, you could even fix it if it needs fixing. I hope it doesn't (unless you add IPv6, in that case, it might).

However, the netif API changed… especially if you want IPv6. If you
stick to IPv4 you will probably trip over the administrative state and
link state rework

You can just set the netif's link up after adding, so that should work.

as well as some other flags,

Right. We didn't have binary compatiblity in mind, so after removing some flags, some other flags' values have changed. That might still work if you fix them up after netif_add() (which calls the netif's init function)...

the netif struct changed as well IIRC so it's not ABI compatible at all.

Unless LWIP_SNMP was enabled for 1.4.0, struct netif should have the same layout. But that largely depends on the enabled options in opt.h/lwipopts.h... :-(
But what you could do is
to rename all netif calls and netif struct in lwIP and write a shim
layer between the symbols used in your blob and the renamed lwIP calls.

Fixing up the lwIP import symbols in the driver library might be nicer than changing the lwIP sources (or else some other lwIP things might stop working), but I haven't done this, yet, and it might largely depend on the compiler used.

Regarding 1.4.0 --> 1.4.1, the only API change was in TCP, I think (minor API change, struct tcp_pcb layout change). That shouldn't make a difference for you, so 1.4.1 should be an easy replacement.

Please keep us informed and cry for help if you run into problems as this is very interesting (to me at least:)

Simon