lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Networking device discovery protocols

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Networking device discovery protocols
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:09:57 -0300

I think what you describe (and need) is a simple NetBIOS name server
(NBNS for short). It listens on a UDP port 137 for UDP broadcast queries
for its name, and responds to matches.
You could also configure the DHCP server to assign a DNS provided IP
address, so people would find your device based on a proper name
resolution. Although that requires you to be friends with the IT guy.
Using NBNS will work only in windoze environments, and I personally
don't know if that port is still operational in newer systems. Anyway,
the name server itself is pretty simple, I wrote a quick hack for it
several years ago; it is for another system but I can help you move it
to lwIP RAW API.