lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] socket close

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] socket close
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:49:13 +0100

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 18:35 +0800, yueyue papa wrote:

> I found some TCP/IP stacks use RST as close solution.
>
> IwIP is use FIN, ACK as a socket close solution.
>
> Could I choose RST solution for close socket?

I regard using a RST to close a connection in the normal case as
breaking the TCP spec.  There is a FIN/ACK sequence, and the TIME_WAIT
state (which is what the stack's that are using RST are trying to avoid)
for good reasons.  We re-use connections from TIME_WAIT if there aren't
enough available, so this should remove the need to close connections
with RST.

So the short answer is "no", sorry.  Can you explain why you want to
close connections with a RST?

Kieran