lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Help in getting maximum throughput with LWIP.

From: Chris Strahm
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Help in getting maximum throughput with LWIP.
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:35:15 -0700

I would also suggest that you try using smaller packet buffers, say 256, and more of them.  The total mem used can be the same.  The chaining in LWIP works very well so there is little penalty on your large packets.  However, many Enet packets are ACKs, SYNs, FINs, etc. which are generally 100-200 bytes.  If all you have is 1500 byte buffers, then you waste a big chunk of mem on sending a tiny packet.  You will get more usefulness out of your mem by using a finer grain structure (more smaller buffers).  If you do a lot of testing I think you will also find far less chance of exhausting all your buffers under various data flow scenarios on real LANs.

Chris.