lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Strange "always true" conditional in tcp_in.c

From: Lou Cypher
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Strange "always true" conditional in tcp_in.c
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 17:29:04 +0100

> The original check intends to be still valid if the type of 'dupacks' is
> changed in the future, therefore, I think it is better than explicitly
> checking for a constant (0xFF). This kind of check is used in multiple places
> throughout the stack and should have a comment stating that this is an
> overflow check.

Then it should become something like
  if( pcb->dupacks != (DUPACK_TYPE)-1 )
or any similar expression -- as the proposal from Bill Auerbach of checking the
incremented variable against zero: the above has just no run-time overhead.

> I didn't check yet if the bug report here is valid, but at least under
> VS2005/2008 and cygwin-gcc, there is no such warning...

Well, VS isn't always that good at spotting warnings(...) and GCC has a "-Wall"
that doesn't even mean "all warnings", just to amuse programmers :)
Note: I didn't check it with any compiler yet

~Lou