lwip-users

[lwip-users] FW: LWIP wiki

From: Grubb, Jared
Subject: [lwip-users] FW: LWIP wiki
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:40:44 -0700

Here's a great email from Angela at wikia.com; it may answer some of the
questions.

-----Original Message-----
From: Angela [---]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 1:07 AM
To: Grubb, Jared
Subject: LWIP wiki

Hi Jared,

I was reading the discussion on the lwip-users list. Here are some
answers to the questions posed there, which you are welcome to pass
on.

On Oct 3, 3:12 am, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Browsing through lwip.wikia.com, it seems the whole wiki is already back
> up there. How did they do that when we think we have to copy the pages
> manually?

I did it manually, from the google cache.

> The ads are a little anoying though.

Please try logging in. Registered users only see an ad on the home
page and not on any articles.

> I preferred the scribblewiki layout...

You are welcome to choose the original monobook (wikipedia) skin in
your preferences, though many of the newer features are not available
with that.

On Oct 3, 4:37 am, "Taranowski, Thomas (SWCOE)"
<address@hidden> wrote:
> We could probably askwikiato send us a database dump of the wiki now

No need to ask. We always make the content available. See
http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Database_download

We make regular backups on multiple machines, but you're welcome to
take your own as extra assurance that you won't lose your data.

> :)  I'm a little worried that we'll end up in the same situation in a
> year or 2.

I understand your concern. However, Wikia has had $14m of investment,
and isn't closing down in the foreseable future. Shutting down without
notice and without making the content available is out of the
question!

On Oct 4, 7:02 am, "Pettinato, Jim" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Would it make sense to mirror the contents on the baringforge site as a
> backup?

One downside to a mirror is that it could affect the search engine
rank if it gets classed as duplicate content, which could make it
harder for new readers to find the wiki. If it is done, I recommend
adding 'noindex' metatags to one of them.

On Oct 5, 9:16 pm, Frédéric BERNON <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found all the wiki pages on "live search" cache. But I don't know how many
> time these links will be valids.

Nice find. I've grabbed those too, so there are now 68 pages on the
wiki. I've listed those at
http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/lwIP_Wiki:Content_rescued

Kind regards,

Angela