lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Lwip 1.3.0 Running out of TCP PCB's fast

From: Pettinato, Jim
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] Lwip 1.3.0 Running out of TCP PCB's fast
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:34:49 -0400

This is due to pcbs being placed in a TIME_WAIT state; i.e. when you
close a connection they're not really freed yet, they're hanging around
waiting for enough time to pass to make sure no stray packets come in
and screw up a future connection. Note that the default 'enough time' is
like two hours, so an automatically refreshing web page will eat up pcbs
very quickly. (This is TCP standard behavior as defined in the RFQs,
though it makes little sense in today's high-speed networks.)

Even though the error count gets incremented, lwIP will (upon finding no
free pcbs) allocate a pcb from the TIME_WAIT list and use it, so this
may not actually be a problem for your implementation.