lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP API without OS

From: Christiaan Simons
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP API without OS
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:36:46 +0200

Hi Mauricio,

> i am using Nios II 5.0 IDE and i try to create one project with the
> NIOS using the lwIP as Standalone.
> Is it possible to use the lwIP 0.7.1 without an operating system
> running with the NIOS II?

Yes. You'll need to use the raw-API
as documented in lwip/docs/rawapi.txt.

The raw-API is an asynchronous API,
so you'll need to make some sort of event loop.

> I use the Linux as development platform and i tried to run the
> example "unixsim/simhost" from lwIP together with the NIOS but dont
works.

Try the current lwIP sources from http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/lwip
(use anonymous CVS to obtain the current development sources)

> I thought the lwIP (api_lib.c) can provide the emulation of the
> operating system, but i dont understand why can I define the
> architecture (sys_arch.c, sys_arch.h) to my Hardware(NIOSII). I need
> really to do this?

It does not emulate an operating system!
The socket API always requires an operating system,
this is always true, not only for lwIP.

Hope this helps,

Bye,
Christiaan.