lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Hardware Assisted Checksum

From: Jim Gibbons
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Hardware Assisted Checksum
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:40:02 -0800

I guess it depends on what you call an embedded system.  Our firm works on a consulting basis for people implementing embedded systems, and we find them to be all over the map in terms of price and performance.  One of our clients has now asked us to do a re-spin of their product specifically to add a 1G interface.

The PC market really drives the economics here, and 1G interfaces are becoming common there.  You are correct to note that it is these newer interfaces being the ones that have the feature.  I believe that it is more a matter of an idea whose time has come than a high end feature for only the most expensive systems.  The feature itself is really a very simple one to incorporate into the silicon.

To see a chip that has the feature, check the Intel 82541.  (They have *finally* lifted the veil of secrecy on their specs.  You can get a pdf on this from their web site.)

Timmy Brolin wrote:
I guess Ethernet MACs integrated into PC chipsets may have this feature, especially the gigabit interfaces.
But I have never seen this in a Ethernet MAC intended for embedded systems. Have you?
The only exception would be MACs implemented in FPGAs..

/Timmy Brolin

--
Jim Gibbons
address@hidden