lwip-users

[lwip-users] tcp connection state from app

From: David Haas
Subject: [lwip-users] tcp connection state from app
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:45:51 -0400

Hi all,

I need some advice. I have an application which is supporting tcp
connections to redirect RS-232 ports over the network. This works just
fine, but unfortunately this existing application does not pend on a
read or a write from the socket and only calls select when it is in a
certain mode. My problem is that the other end can drop the tcp
connection. My app does not know this because it is not checking for I/O
when it is in an idle state. I have another thread which I could use to
check for a dropped connection, but I need to know the status of the tcp
connection without actually doing any I/O (because any characters really
read must go to the app, not the monitoring thread).

I can't figure out any "unixish" way to do this, but my solution is to
add a little netconn_tcp_state() function to the API. Does anyone have a
better suggestion?

Regards,
David.