lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Removing the restriction on number of sockets

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Removing the restriction on number of sockets
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 08:01:11 -0500

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 11:36 PM, Simon Goldschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Joel Cunningham wrote:
>> It may be worth noting that there aren’t existing example of “static” versus
>> “dynamic” implementations
>> of data structures within LwIP.
>
> I should add: there *is* one example of static allocation: the sockets array.
> And I don't really like it :-)
>
> However, given the (dumb) standard that says sockets should be an int (I
> guess because the first implementers
> used an array index?), this is currently a good solution, given the fact that
> our memp pools also allocate
> the memory at compile time...

My comment was calling attention to the original proposal which introduced an
option to control which implementation (static or dynamic) was active. I can’t
think of a case in LwIP where a data structure had two implementations.  I
prefer NOT to have to maintain multiple implementations.

The closest thing I can think of is the API message passing (with MPU support)
for !CORE_LOCKING versus CORE_LOCKING.  Having to maintain both implementations
(one of which is fairly complicated) has created a significant barrier to
implementing new APIs that don’t fit within the existing “groups” (netconn,
netif, etc.) of APIs

Joel