lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Re: DHCP option "Requested IP"

From: Fabian Koch
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Re: DHCP option "Requested IP"
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:14:19 +0200

> The only downside to using the netif API that I can see is that the
> target will be restricted to always providing the "Requested IP".  Might
> there be a situation where you need one netif using the "Requested IP"
> feature, and one not using it, or different times when a netif might
> want to use it or not?  I'm just worried that once you've turned this
> option on at compile time you might have no way of not using it, whereas
> if it was a specific (new) function call you would have more control.

Well it is a deliberate decision of the user to create a netif, give it the desired IP and send it to dhcp_start() OR create a netif and send it to dhcp_start() directly.
That was my idea of deciding. (Hoping that a netif is created with all nulled fields, haven't checked that)

So if it is documented properly, this feature would be completely uninvasive and still functional.

I'll come up with a patch and then we can decide if it is good enough.

regards,
Fabian