lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Re: DHCP option "Requested IP"

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Re: DHCP option "Requested IP"
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:36:34 +0100

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 17:30 +0200, Fabian Koch wrote:

> This is explained in RFC 2132. I'm just looking for a smooth way to
> integrate this into LwIP without changing too much code and especially
> any APIs.
> So I figured it would be nice to get your netif set up and give it the
> desired IP and send it to dhcp_start(), which calls dhcp_discover()
> and then the set IP is used for the DISCOVER and REQUEST packets
> inside the options field.

I'd be happy with that, it seems like a sensible way to use the netif
API, but I'd be just as happy (if not more) with adding an explicit
function to the dhcp API to specify the IP address to suggest.

The only downside to using the netif API that I can see is that the
target will be restricted to always providing the "Requested IP".  Might
there be a situation where you need one netif using the "Requested IP"
feature, and one not using it, or different times when a netif might
want to use it or not?  I'm just worried that once you've turned this
option on at compile time you might have no way of not using it, whereas
if it was a specific (new) function call you would have more control.

Kieran