lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:08:00 +0000

Micael (abc) wrote:
[snip]
This is the reason for me to nowadays always go with sockets.

That's not unreasonable.

To be fair, I have not looked into netconn API because of this. But
looking at the wiki, it seams there's no select() support for
instance? How would you be waiting for many simultaneous connections?
Because of differences like this, it does not *seam* to be a easy
replacement for the socket API, at least not in a more complicated
environment.

That's an area where the API style is a bit different I guess. You create the socket with a callback function using netconn_new_with_proto_and_callback(). You can then use the callback to handle waking stuff up to process new data etc.

* Coming back to why I am concerned about sockets in lwip: I fully
realize that an open source project is what everyone contributes to
it, but I get the feeling that most of you active developers are not
using the socket API,

That's not true. That's not even true of me - I have existing code around. As Simon says, the socket API is working and supported. You only have to look at the effort spent on improving it in the 1.3.0 release to see that.

and too me, it is not clear where you guys as a
community wants to take lwip/sockets. I also see piero struggling with
different issues that from where I stand, looks like real flaws.

I don't think Piero has been reporting flaws? Rather, wanting enhancements. lwIP is lightweight, and being lightweight has not always had every feature. So yes, not every socket operation can be used non-blocking yet. But as you've maybe seen from the "Success stories" thread, and the number of people on this list, that's not a big problem for most people. (Although that support probably will be added in the not-too-distant future probably).

Jifl