lmi

Re: [lmi] Transient git error

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Transient git error
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:29:35 +0100

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:16:33 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 3/22/23 22:43, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 21:09:53 +0000 Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> > GC> In a freshly-built chroot, 'git fetch --all' initially failed as
GC> > GC> follows...
GC> > GC>
GC> > GC> Could not access submodule '3rdparty/wxWidgets' at commit 938b8a6ae
GC> > GC> Could not access submodule '3rdparty/wxpdfdoc' at commit 8752a7da6
GC> > GC> Could not access submodule '3rdparty/xmlwrapp' at commit 8752a7da6
GC> >
GC> >  I guess it was a bad idea to push my "tt" branch containing these
commits,
GC> > which reference my own old submodules (predating the ones under
GC> > third_party) to GitHub. It's convenient for me, but I can live without it
GC> > and delete it from there. Should I do it?
GC>
GC> To answer that, first we must ascertain whether any actual
GC> problem exists in practice

 This depends on your definition of "a problem". I.e. are the messages
above "a problem" or not? I'd actually argue that they're, because they
definitely seem scary, but OTOH if they really only appear once, maybe it's
not too bad. Especially if you can avoid seeing them in automatic scripts
by using git-fetch --depth option to create a shallow clone, because I'm
almost sure that doing this wouldn't fetch these commits at all -- and also
should be significantly faster, so could be well worth doing in any case.

 So, to summarize, I won't argue very strongly and if you think these
messages are not a problem, I certainly don't mind. And I don't think there
are any other problems, but please let me know if you run into any, of
course.

 Thanks,
VZ