lmi

Re: [lmi] Transient git error

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Transient git error
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:43:02 +0100

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 21:09:53 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> In a freshly-built chroot, 'git fetch --all' initially failed as
GC> follows...
GC>
GC> Could not access submodule '3rdparty/wxWidgets' at commit 938b8a6ae
GC> Could not access submodule '3rdparty/wxpdfdoc' at commit 8752a7da6
GC> Could not access submodule '3rdparty/xmlwrapp' at commit 8752a7da6

 I guess it was a bad idea to push my "tt" branch containing these commits,
which reference my own old submodules (predating the ones under
third_party) to GitHub. It's convenient for me, but I can live without it
and delete it from there. Should I do it?

 FWIW I think the errors above are not really fatal: these commits are
"incomplete", as the submodules they reference are not available, but as
long as you don't try to actually use submodules at this version, it
doesn't seem to be a problem.

GC> fatal: remote error: upload-pack: not our ref
f279b417f431db35c90a9813d3f2e6abfaeead30
GC> fatal: remote error: upload-pack: not our ref
9325bced99d79d78658a6c7a620a34f73f4abfa5
GC> Errors during submodule fetch:
GC>         third_party/libxslt
GC>         third_party/libxml2
GC> error: could not fetch xanadu
GC>
GC> ...but then repeating the same command verbatim succeeded.

 I'm not sure if it has really succeeded, it's rather that it hasn't failed
again because it had already given errors about these commits and there
were no new problematic commits to fetch.

GC> AFAICT, the problem fixed itself somehow, but naturally I wonder
GC> how this could be.

 I believe that the problem is not really fixed, if you do try to use one
of the commits above, you're going to have problems. But, of course, you
shouldn't have any reason to try to do it (other than morbid curiosity,
perhaps).

 Regards,
VZ