lmi

Re: [lmi] Strange buttons on MDI child windows

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Strange buttons on MDI child windows
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:34:20 +0200

On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:33:38 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> To reproduce:
GC>   File | New | Illustration
GC>   OK
GC> I expect the usual {minimize, resize, close} buttons in the top right
GC> corner of the child window. Instead, I see {0, 1, r}.

 It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it, but this was due to
the very first thing that I thought about when reading this: missing
Marlett font, containing the usual button symbols.

 I thought it would be enough to install the Debian fonts-wine package
containing this font, but it turns out that this package is useless because
it installs the fonts under /usr/share/wine/fonts directory where Wine
doesn't look by default, probably because it uses /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
where this directory doesn't appear.

 I'm still not sure whose fault it is that this doesn't work out of the
box, but I do know how to fix it, and even in a variety of different ways:
you could add the Wine directory to /etc/fonts/local.conf file or you could
copy its fonts to any directory already in it, e.g. /usr/local/share/fonts,
~/.local/share/fonts or ~/.fonts. I did the latter and can now see all the
buttons just fine (and even doubly fine, considering that I'm now using 192
DPI on my non-high DPI display).

 Hope this helps,
VZ