lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 288ce278 2/3: Remove support for 32-bit b

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 288ce278 2/3: Remove support for 32-bit builds
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 21:27:17 +0000

On 5/17/22 12:54, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022 19:18:01 -0400 (EDT) Greg Chicares
> <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
> GC>     Remove support for 32-bit builds
>
>  Finally, the day has come!

The glorious 0x10th of May!

> [I wanted to insert an ASCII art of fireworks here but managed to restrain
>  my excitement at the very last moment]

Fireworks aren't permitted here, but Ugolyok assures me that the 0x10th
is traditionally celebrated with a meal of rognons de veau au calvados,
so I'm sautéing some for him now.

Chroots are smaller without '--add-architecture i386':

  $du -sbx /srv/chroot/lmi_* 2>/dev/null
  21535430154     /srv/chroot/lmi_bullseye_3
  21766051435     /srv/chroot/lmi_bookworm_4
  15128937071     /srv/chroot/lmi_bookworm_5

A difference of a few GB doesn't make much difference these days, but
'apt-get dist-upgrade' is much less awful with a single architecture.

> GC>       INSTALL
>
>  I'm not sure if we need this one at all. Do we still want to support
> building lmi under Cygwin or any other Unix-like environment under MSW?

I think it's time to purge cygwin completely. I wouldn't want to
discard the WSL work, which we may yet use, someday.

The string "i686" occurs in file 'INSTALL', in WSL instructions.
I'll just change the reference to the new default architecture.

> GC>       gui_test.ps1
>
>  AFAICS the only change needed here is to s/i686/x86_64/ in the name of the
> log directory, should I push it directly too or will you do it?

Done: commit 1d4e4f02104361 .

> GC>     These files are obsolete
> GC>       install_mingw.make
> GC>       install_mingw32.make
> GC>       msw_cygwin.make
> GC>     and should therefore be expunged, but 'yml' or 'ps1' code uses
> GC>     two or three of them.
>
>  I'm a bit puzzled here because I don't see any references to these files
> in neither .yml nor .ps1 file.

I thought I had found the string "install_mingw" in places where
it now seems not to occur; I guess I was just mistaken.

> In fact the only references to them (outside
> of the change log) that I see are:
>
> - install_mingw.make: install_msw.sh
> - install_mingw32.make: nowhere at all
> - msw_cygwin.make: configuration.make

I think we can remove all three of those files, carefully.
At one time, we were running the 'install_mingw*' makefiles
even in GNU/Linux, just to confirm that they worked, because
we required them for cygwin. But now we never use cygwin for
building lmi. (We might use it to provide a usable shell
for native msw, but lmi won't build in that shell.)