lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] odd/eraseme_long_double_irr cca9eaa5 1/3: Pass f

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] odd/eraseme_long_double_irr cca9eaa5 1/3: Pass floating-point scalar arguments by value
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:55:29 +0200

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:17:39 -0400 (EDT) Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> branch: odd/eraseme_long_double_irr
GC> commit cca9eaa5559d7f7aadefd590e148849b6e0d327b
GC> Author: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC> Commit: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC>
GC>     Pass floating-point scalar arguments by value

 This is another of those curious-but-not-curious-enough-to-test-myself
questions: does this have any noticeable effect on performance? It's not
that I can think of any objections to passing the arguments by value here,
it seems the right thing to do anyhow, but I also hope that any compiler
worth its salt would generate exactly the same code in both cases. So I'm
just curious if you've already checked and whether this was indeed the case
or if this change had any positive effect on the performance too?

 Thanks,
VZ